Noites no Observatório – “Mysterious Universe”

By Tiago Barreiro, of Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA) and Universidade Lusófona.

The Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity completed now 100 years. We started to be able to read the story of our Universe with this theory. In the last twenty years we came into a new era of precision cosmology. Never before we knew so much about our Universe.

Despite these progresses, never before we were also so aware of knowing so little, because we discovered that common matter only holds 5% of the whole energy of the Universe. The remaining 95% form the dark side, made of pure mystery. Let’s explore the dark side of the Universe and try to cast light upon the unknown.

After the public talk (in Portuguese), there will be a music and effects show projected on the planetary dome, and observations of the night sky with telescopes will run continuously until midnight, if weather conditions allow (guided tours available in English).


Noites no Observatório are organised by the Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, in partnership with the Planetário Calouste Gulbenkian – Centro de Ciência Viva.

Duration:

3 horas

Free entrance


Registration

Despite the event being free of charge, the access to the activity requires a registration here.

Please beware:

1) Due to the growing audience attending our activities and the fact that some people give up without notice, up to two emails will be sent asking for confirmation. The lack of a reply within 48 hours after the reception of this confirmation request will be taken as a dropout and the registration will be cancelled. For this reason, please check your email inbox regularly in order to confirm your attendance in the activity.

2) You will need to pick a registration ticket at the entrance of the Planetário Calouste Gulbenkian between 9pm and 9:25pm on the day of the event. After 9:25pm, the tickets which have not been taken will be given to people on the waiting list and, on a first come first served basis, to people without registration.

Important:
The observation of the night sky depends on the weather conditions. As this is run outside, we recommend the use of warm clothes.

The talk is given regardless of the observations. The Calouste Gulbenkian Planetarium will open its doors half an hour before the event starts.

The public talk is given in Portuguese. Observations of the night sky are available in English.

Don’t miss an event

Follow us on the IA facebook page, twitter feed or subscribe to our newsletter (in Portuguese).

Location

Planetário Calouste Gulbenkian - Centro Ciência Viva
Museu de Marinha
Praça do Império
Lisboa

How to get there

By car
GPS – 38.698140, -9.208919

By bus
714, 727, 28, 729, 751 e 201

By tram
15

By boat
Estação fluvial de Belém ( Transtejo)

Live broadcasting

You can watch the event from home and ask questions to the speaker visiting this online address.

The online broadcasting of the talks has the support of the Fundação para a Computação Científica Nacional (FCCN), a department of the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT).

A videotransmissão das palestras tem o apoio da Fundação para a Computação Científica Nacional (FCCN), unidade da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT).

Learn more about this project Noites no Observatório